Sunday, July 18, 2010

Even if you do not know me very well, you arrived at this blog posting for a reason. I believe this.


I have Faith. A Faith that leads me to believe the cliche that "everything happens for a reason" and that there is an ultimate plan that has already been drawn out for us. This Faith also leads me to reason that the people in our lives are there for a reason as well. Every person we know, meet, or even simply see passing us by does so for a reason.

As a human being I feel that I have an obligation to be everything I can to these people--everything they need me to be for them. Whether that be a friend, an acquaintance, someone to go out with, a reference, someone to tip your hat to on the street, or anything more or less important. I feel like if I ignore them or am not everything they need me to be I am doing them a disservice and even trying fate. I'm an all-or-nothing kind of person. So I do my best to open the floodgates and let people into my life as the Lord would lead them to me.

This requires a lot of listening. It demands honesty.

God has brought me to a few key people that are in my life--or perhaps he has brought them to me. Regardless, I feel as though these people need me; at the same time I need them. A lot of times people just need someone to listen or even have a sort of presence. I want to be that for them. Simultaneously I learn from them and because of them I appreciate my life and everything that has always been easy or gone right or simply fallen into place. Each of them has bigger mountains to climb than I feel like I've ever been faced with. For that I am grateful to the Lord, and therefore I ask Him to help me be a leg-up for them in any way they need. These few persons have become my friends in unorthodox ways--I never would have predicted being as close as I am to any of them. But that's exactly why I keep my doors open.

Open doors allows for anyone and everyone to come and go as they please. The same people who once seem so important may be ushered out in time because you have been everything you can to that person. And then there are those who will be with you forever. Those are a select and gifted few. But how would you ever know who those people could be if you didn't let them in in the first place?

I find it curious that what I have pondered and written reminds me of my favorite Bible verse. It is a passage I choose to live by.

Matthew 5:14-16:

14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15Men do not light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket. They set it on a stand where it gives light to all in the house. 16In the same way, your light must shine before men so that they may see goodness in your acts and give praise to your heavenly Father."

No comments:

Post a Comment