Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Inspired by a Dream:: First Blog :)

So, I have toyed with the idea of creating a blog for quite some time now.... several months actually....

However, today I was particularly inspired to do so by a ridiculous dream that I had while taking what I like to call an "Hour of Power" nap between Biology and Physics II classes. The nap really only lasted about 45 minutes this time, but somehow I managed to dream this incredibly absurd story....

We were told by some local judge that we would be required by law to clean and get rid of a murdered body. It wasn't punishment for anything, but I feel like we (we being me, a close friend, and others who I cannot recall) have been bystanders or had seen the murder when it happened.

For some reason, I, Caitlin (the close friend), and the others were staying at the presently vacated house of my former teammate, Emily. You could tell it was her house only because one of the bedrooms had her name and pictures of her on the door. One small poster had her large portrait and the word "INITIATION" on it--she had been welcomed to the Texas Tech softball team almost as if it were a sorority....

The house was very large, almost mansion-like but not quite. You could tell the family was well endowed. The entrance included an over-sized oak door with a decorative glass pane inside; the door was surrounded by a French-style parallel panel window on each side and a large arc window above it and decorative molding all the way around. The door was set in a red brick entry way with a large funnel-shaped set of stairs leading down to the path. Inside the entry were lots of lights in a chandelier that glowed gold when the outdoors was dark. Directly to the right as you enter the house there was a robust set of stairs that curved up to the second floor. The second floor landing was almost like a Victorian-esque balcony over the first floor den. The floor went around the perimeter of the landing and the bedrooms were all on one side. Emily's room was on the far left, and there were about four more to its right for her many younger sisters. The room I was occupying was on the far right, and had its own bathroom.

The body had been carelessly dumped here on the bathroom floor. Looking at it I could never get a clear view of the face, but somehow I knew it was male and his identity was of no importance or relevance to the ensuing events. He had been wearing navy wind pants and a burgundy wind breaker. There were many gaping holes through which you could see the mangled cadaver. You could tell the death was not recent. The skin looked severely burned and mostly dry with a dark pinkish-red color, almost as if the dead muscle had been exposed to the air for too long. It was unhealthy, almost skeletal. It was as if the people who had left it there had just dragged the body on the sheets he was killed on. A knife lay beside it, but it wasn't sharp or bloody. Both the butter knife and the body were covered in grape jelly. The first thought that came to my mind upon picking up the knife was that prior to his murder the man must have (however innocently, I don't know) making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich....

I was disturbed by the knife and was still holding on to it when I went downstairs to find someone to accompany and help me. I found them, including Caitlin, who I would have preferred as company, in the kitchen. They seemed to be making themselves at home there surrounded by the glorious marble counter tops and luxurious bowls of fruits and breads. Seeing as the owners were not home, it was an odd scene and I was further disturbed.

I didn't really gather much response and went back to the bathroom in my troubled state. When I got there, the body had been spliced in half at the hips. There was no blood anywhere. I ran to the top of the stairs to yell down to Caitlin to see if she knew what had happened. Before I could get the words out, I saw several unknown and curiously dressed people dragging the body down the stairs on my own pink sheets. I didn't know whether to stop them or not.... I yelled and screamed at them, pleading to know what they were doing and where or why they were taking the body. Finally one of them, and ash-covered boy in his teens that resembled a chimney sweeper, answered that "It was not my job to do; my turn was over; it was their turn to take the body." It didn't feel right....

I rushed down the stairs and Caitlin came rushing in and tried to grab one of them as they were about to leave through the oak door. She had a grasp on one of them until they fell, or rather disappeared through, the solid door. A final female one of the ghost-like people was left in the entry way holding the jelly-covered knife. She was dressed almost like a doll, with a childlike Cherub face and a small pink dress. I grabbed her and pushed her to the floor. I could tell I had hurt her feelings and immediately pitied the thing. Then, it was as if she was crying; her face became a watery-looking blur--it was as if i was looking at her reflection in a pond. I helped her to her feet out of pity, and watched her disappear through the door. The last glance I got through the window pane in the door was of one of the older people who had come back for the doll-girl. This one was wearing a white blouse and red cloak, and happened to be my high school Calculus teacher....

Feel free to analyze and comment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment