Saturday, December 5, 2009

The Tooth Fairy



I just recalled a dream I had when I was very young to two of my friends, so I have decided to share it because it is quite humorous and reflective of my childhood.

I was about 5 or 6 years old. I had just lost my first tooth pretty recently at my Grandmother's house after she pulled it out by force (don't worry, the tooth had been so loose I didn't feel a thing). I had had this incredible fear of my teeth being pulled and had actually managed to let the new adult tooth grow in behind the baby tooth. So naturally my teeth were crooked (they had been crooked in the first place because my mouth was very small to begin with).

I went to the dentist's office to have one of my teeth removed so that they could determine my need for orthodontia. They removed the small tooth and gave it to me so I could put it under my pillow for the tooth fairy.

That night I placed the tooth carefully under my pillow in a little baggy. As I was sleeping I began to dream about what special things the tooth fairy may bring me since the tooth had been so uniquely removed. I fully expected something spectacular rather than your average trade of a dollar.

So, I dreamed that I woke up with a huge booklet of coupons for FREE PIZZA from Dominos. I was not disappointed by this; my 6-year-old self was obviously craving pizza and would give her teeth to have an unlimited lifetime supply of it. Delicious.

Obviously, you can probably deduce that this dream did not come true. However, I did receive something rather spectacular. I got a really pretty Barbie dressed in a purple blouse and festive skirt. I hadn't ever had a brand new Barbie, because mine had been hand-me-downs from my older cousins. Needless to say I was still very excited, and my mother ended up ordering me a pizza for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment